internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] SMS - smart mobs, comming soon!

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Edward Wesolowski <edwes AT idisplay.com>
  • To: s_l AT mindspring.com, "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] SMS - smart mobs, comming soon!
  • Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 12:42:16 -0400

"In Europe and Asia, SMS has become a social phenomenon among teens and young adults. But with some European operators reporting that SMS charges account for 15 percent or more of their total revenue, U.S. carriers are eager to cash in on the new opportunity."

Smart Mobs in the U.S., not yet, but soon, yes?-)
Ed Wesolowski
At 02:03 PM 8/13/03 -0400, you wrote:

>There are also problems of interoperability between different wireless
providers.

SMS between service providers has been rectified.
http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=article&articleid=CA209048
April 8, 2002 Top Five U.S. Carriers Now Offer SMS Interoperability

>but could we also just use SMS? who here SMSs? and has a big phonebook?
>just curious since all the russians used it and my buddies in ireland
>perfered it over the phone or email since it works everywhere.

My phone is SMS capable, but I turned off the extra service ($3/month for
100 SMS messages, $.10 each after, Cingular) of SMS when none of my friends
had it. The network effect bites both ways. For the few friends that do have
SMS service, instead of a web gateway I use an email gateway. So I send a
160 character email to
<their_phonenumber>@<a_special_subdomain>.<theirwirelessprovider>.com