internetworkers - [internetworkers] SMS

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Scott Lundgren" <s_l AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] SMS
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 14:03:31 -0400

>There are also problems of interoperability between different wireless
providers.

SMS between service providers has been rectified.
http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=article&articleid=CA209048
April 8, 2002 Top Five U.S. Carriers Now Offer SMS Interoperability

>but could we also just use SMS? who here SMSs? and has a big phonebook?
>just curious since all the russians used it and my buddies in ireland
>perfered it over the phone or email since it works everywhere.

My phone is SMS capable, but I turned off the extra service ($3/month for
100 SMS messages, $.10 each after, Cingular) of SMS when none of my friends
had it. The network effect bites both ways. For the few friends that do have
SMS service, instead of a web gateway I use an email gateway. So I send a
160 character email to
<their_phonenumber>@<a_special_subdomain>.<theirwirelessprovider>.com