internetworkers - [internetworkers] 6 great gorilla suit movies

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Paul Jones <pjones AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] 6 great gorilla suit movies
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 17:57:26 -0400 (EDT)

I have a private shame that I am now making public: I love movies with
gorilla suits in them. If the gorilla suit is an essential part of the
plot line that's best. I'm not interested in every King Kong knock off --
only the really bad ones. I've listed six great gorilla suit movies
below. If you have some favorites, please let me know of them.

Morgan (1966) Swinging London in which an artist obsessed with Karl Marx
and Gorillas is having difficulty facing up to his ex-wife's remarriage.
Vanessa Redgrave was nominated for an Oscar from her part as the ex-wife
in this screwball comedy. http://us.imdb.com/Title?0060714

King Kong vs Godzilla (1962) possibly the corniest gorilla suit of all
times. "Kingukongu tai Gojira" for you purists.
http://us.imdb.com/Title?0056142

Octopussy (1983) Roger Moore as James Bond dons the gorilla suit. Also if
you listen carefully a Tarzan yell is in the movie someplace.
http://us.imdb.com/Title?0086034

Men aka Manner (that's with a couple of dots over the a) (1985) A German
Comedy written and directed by Doris Dörre. IMDB says: "A successful,
womanizing middle-aged man decides to move out of the house he shares with
his wife after she confesses to having an affair. He looks for a new place
to live and ends up moving into his wife's lover's apartment as a
roommate." One of my favorite gorilla suit scenes.
http://us.imdb.com/Title?0089656

Robot Monster (1953) Possibly the worst sci-fi movie of all time. The
alien, in a gorilla suit, wears a goldfish bowl on his head. Makes Plan 9
look professional. http://us.imdb.com/Title?0046248 (thanks to Miles Efron
for reminding me of this one)

Blonde Venus (1932) Marlene Dietrich and Cary Grant! But it's Dietrich
that wears the gorilla suit while singing "Hot Voodoo"
http://us.imdb.com/Title?0022698

Paul Jones
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation." Alasdair Gray
http://www.ibiblio.org/pjones/
pjones AT ibiblio.org voice: (919) 962-7600 fax: (919) 962-8071