internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] ASP or ColdFusion?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Jeremy Portzer <jeremyp AT pobox.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] ASP or ColdFusion?
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 18:59:47 -0000

On Wed, 2003-07-16 at 14:24, Ken VanDine wrote:
> I would say neither of them, but if you have to choose between one of those
> then
> Cold Fusion. ASP is ok, but it takes more work to accomplish the same
> thing.
> ASP is better when you want to write your own VB stuff as dlls. More
> sophisticated stuff. For 95% of web development, there is no need for more
> than
> a Macro language like Cold Fusion.
>
> But, if I am allowed onto my soap box... I would preach that nothing on
> the web
> should be forced to reside on a M$ server. Actually, to be more specific,
> tied
> to any platform. That is the advantage of PHP or Perl. If you change
> hosting
> providers, they can be supported on both Unix and Windows servers. I know
> Chilli Soft sells ASP software for Unix and Cold Fusion is available as
> well,
> but those aren't nearly as common.

I use ColdFusion on Linux. It's not *that* uncommon. :-)

ColdFusion is quite nice. It's much easier to do something quickly in
CF compared to Perl or PHP. The database API in CF is excellent, and
though older language versions had some serious limitations, it's come a
long way in the past few years. I haven't used ASP myself however so I
can't comment directly on that comparison.

Marcia: There's some nice integration with Flash Remoting and
ColdFusion. I don't know the details, but there's been a lot of
discussion of it on the Carolina ColdFuser Users Group mailing list (see
http://www.ccfug.org/ ). I would think this would be a big plus for
choosing CF in your application.

--Jeremy

| Jeremy Portzer jeremyp AT pobox.com trilug.org/~jeremy |
| GPG Fingerprint: 712D 77C7 AB2D 2130 989F E135 6F9F F7BC CC1A 7B92 |