internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] ASP or ColdFusion?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Ken VanDine <ken AT bizrace.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] ASP or ColdFusion?
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 14:24:32 -0400

I would say neither of them, but if you have to choose between one of those
then
Cold Fusion. ASP is ok, but it takes more work to accomplish the same thing.
ASP is better when you want to write your own VB stuff as dlls. More
sophisticated stuff. For 95% of web development, there is no need for more
than
a Macro language like Cold Fusion.

But, if I am allowed onto my soap box... I would preach that nothing on the
web
should be forced to reside on a M$ server. Actually, to be more specific,
tied
to any platform. That is the advantage of PHP or Perl. If you change hosting
providers, they can be supported on both Unix and Windows servers. I know
Chilli Soft sells ASP software for Unix and Cold Fusion is available as well,
but those aren't nearly as common.

Sorry to babel, obviously I have an opinion :-)

--Ken

P.S. -- No flame wars please... just friendly comments :-)