internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] anti-spam

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Winslow Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] anti-spam
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 11:21:39 -0400

On Thursday, June 12, 2003, at 02:31 PM, Steven Champeon wrote:

1) ipchains - block certain spammers at the TCP level, using listings
from spews.org; I'll go in and add all the ROKSO spammers, too, as
time permits. Currently list 11067 netblocks.

As much as I hate spam, I also don't like the way spews.org operates. I recently started having email from my host bounced from sites using spews.org, and when I went to spews.org to check on it, they had our IP address associated with a company I've never heard of that just happened to be using the same hosting company. Anyone checking on my company would get a report of a long list of spam activity that I had nothing to do with. The way spews operates is its totally anonymous, and there's no possible way to contact them in the case of a mistake.

It wouldn't have made any difference even if I couldn't contact them since their SOP is to blacklist all of the IP addresses from the same hosting service, even if all but one of the actual companies are innocent. Luckily the workaround was fairly easy-- we simply use the sendmail servers of our network provider instead, but it was a pain to have to reconfigure all of our email systems.

http://www.antispews.org

Some try to achieve immortality by performing grand deeds or the accumulation of
great wealth. On the whole I prefer to achieve immortality by not dying. -- Pratchett
-- michael at czeiszperger dot org, Chapel Hill, NC