internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] really really wrong things :)

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Paul Cory <pwcory AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] really really wrong things :)
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 21:01:26 -0400

My vote for worst movie ever still goes to "Manos, The Hands of Fate."[1] It was made by a Texas fertilizer salesman (producer, writer, director and star), in color, God Help Us in 1966,[2] and some how, some way actually got distributed. Suffice to say Hal P. Warren, the auteur behind Manos never really left his industry of expertise. Manos, for me, is a three drink movie even in the Mystery Science Theater 3000 version.

[1] I have not seen "Event Horizon," so it is possible that I would find it to be more horrendous than Manos. However, every frame of Manos is crap - I find it hard to believe that somewhere in Event Horizon there isn't at least one frame, perhaps an establishing shot of some sort, free of dialogue and action, or even the first frame of the movie, that doesn't rise to the level of mediocre. Ihave seen Plan 9 - it was marginally better than Manos in my opinion, although there's easily room for argument.

[2] You could make a case for excluding Manos on the grounds that was low budget and starred nobody of note. However, despite these limitations, Warren succeeded in making a world class stinker.

Paul