internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Solaris, 1971

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: burnett AT pobox.com
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Solaris, 1971
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 15:31:10 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 27 May 2003, Jay Cuthrell wrote:

> Notes:
> = Boom mic passing through one scene.
> = Huge budget. Big stars. Bad editing.
> = Dutton as, well, Dutton.

Rule #17 of filmgoing: if the closest thing to a "name" actor in a
mainstream film is someone like Charles S. Dutton, Eric Roberts [1], or
Michael Ironsides, go see something else.

[1] With very few caveats, but almost no one I know saw Roberts' first
film _The Coca-Cola Kid_, which was good. Quirky, but good. And it was an
Australian film in the mid-80s, so it wasn't mainstream.

> = Aspired to be a B grade flick.
>
> Don't take my word for it. Steve B. was there too[1].
>
> Come on Steve, tell them. :)

How many times do I have to say I'm sorry about inviting you to that one?
Mea culpa, mea Mimica culpa. :)

> It puts the horrible in horror movies.

True.

> [1] It was a free pass yes?

Yep, season pass for the Rialto/Colony/Studio (at the time). So that night
was nothing out of pocket, just 90 minutes of our lives.

best,
Steve Burnett
burnett AT pobox.com