internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Solaris, 1971

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: David Minton <dminton AT mindspring.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Solaris, 1971
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 13:40:33 -0400

You forgot "bad math." The basic premise of the film is revealed in a scene
(if I recall) in which the "scientist" explains how the 6-inch long bugs she
engineered and deposited in the NYC sewers to kill all of the cockroaches
could have evolved into the Mimics--six-foot tall, man-eaters. She makes a
reference to the possibility, after 10,000 generations of it happening. it
was, of course, only three years later. Let me do the math, 10,000
generations in 3 years (1095 days) is a little over 9 generations per day.
Those would be some pretty quick breeders.

David