internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] RE: InterNetWorkers Digest, Vol 4, Issue 8

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Jason Laughlin <jason AT jasonlaughlin.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] RE: InterNetWorkers Digest, Vol 4, Issue 8
  • Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 14:43:53 -0400

Either before or after you've cleaned up your system, go to http://www.kazaalite.com and download the HOSTS file available on their site. It points a lot of known bad and advertising domains to 127.0.0.1 so they just show up blank in adspaces and pop-ups.

Opera (now v7.10) is also very good at blocking pop-ups and stopping ads. It can be configured to accept, reject, or force to background pop-up windows, and also has a 4th setting which will only allow requested pop-up windows. So any pop-ups that weren't requested by a click get rejected.

Opera also has additional features for managing cookies, alerts for illegal cookies, server-specific filters, etc. And the real killer app in my opinion - those groovy sidebars that can be set to any site you choose (without an author-provided link as required under Moz).

Jason