internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] RE: InterNetWorkers Digest, Vol 4, Issue 8

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Thomas Beckett <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: info AT mindbenderstudios.com, "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] RE: InterNetWorkers Digest, Vol 4, Issue 8
  • Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 07:37:19 -0400

You need to download Ad-Aware and run it to root out all the spyware on your machine.

http://www.lavasoft.de/software/adaware/

And then switch to Mozilla 1.3 which features pop-up suppression and a pretty good spam filter.

http://www.mozilla.org/releases/#1.3.1

And tabbed browsing, which is pretty cool, too.

MS basically stopped developing IE once the courts secured their monopoly. You have to go to other sources for state-of-the-art software.

TaB

Steve Steele wrote:
I'M IN POP UP HELL!
You ever watch one of those national geographic shows
where the whale is cruising through the ocean with all of those suckerfish hanging on? We'll that's how I feel, except the suckerfish are bigger than me. Managing the pop-ups and spam is proving too much to ignore so I have to address this slow death and clean house and I need some advice.

Even when my browser is closed I get pop up ads.
I don't want to add the software that kills all pop ups, just this latest install that is causing this barrage of new ads.

Any advice on how to locate the file that is enabling
these pop ups?

Also, In the same week I have had 4 additional strips
appear under my browser toolbar with links to shopping
and gambling. Although I can uncheck them so they are not viewable, I am concerned that they are, one passing
personal info to some little brother agency or two the cause of the pop-ups.
Can anyone point me to recourse that will show me how to get rid of them?

Thanks
Steve

http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/