internetworkers - [internetworkers] RE: InterNetWorkers Digest, Vol 4, Issue 8

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Steve Steele" <Steve AT mindbenderstudios.com>
  • To: <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] RE: InterNetWorkers Digest, Vol 4, Issue 8
  • Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 06:05:44 -0400

I'M IN POP UP HELL!
You ever watch one of those national geographic shows
where the whale is cruising through the ocean with all
of those suckerfish hanging on? We'll that's how I
feel, except the suckerfish are bigger than me.
Managing the pop-ups and spam is proving too much to
ignore so I have to address this slow death and clean
house and I need some advice.

Even when my browser is closed I get pop up ads.
I don't want to add the software that kills all pop ups,
just this latest install that is causing this barrage
of new ads.

Any advice on how to locate the file that is enabling
these pop ups?

Also, In the same week I have had 4 additional strips
appear under my browser toolbar with links to shopping
and gambling. Although I can uncheck them so they are
not viewable, I am concerned that they are, one passing
personal info to some little brother agency or two the
cause of the pop-ups.

Can anyone point me to recourse that will show me how
to get rid of them?

Thanks
Steve