internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Lapzilla

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Diana Duncan <art2mis AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: tarus AT sortova.com,<internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Lapzilla
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 11:29:00 -0400

It does not wobble. Overall, it's pretty cool, but I can't say I am 100% happy, actually.

The first one we picked up had a very obvious dead pixel right in the middle of the screen. We took it back the next day to the Apple Store, who said it was "within spec" and they wouldn't replace it (at first). I explained somewhat calmly that we'd had the same issue with a Dell laptop and two Viewsonic monitors in the past, and that both of those companies just replaced it. It doesn't make sense that Apple couldn't (or wouldn't) do the same. I was also ready to just hand the damn thing back and pay the restocking fee if that was the type of service I was to expect.

The store manager, very wisely, exchanged it (they actually had a few in stock in the store). The new one is perfect. I had a problem the following day with the booting up (something wrong with the user manager - we never figured out what was wrong, just reinstalled the OS. As a Linux user, this didn't bother me in the least). The Apple Support guy was excellent.

However, the power transformer is flaky. And when I called about a possible Airport problem, they flat-out wouldn't help because my base station wasn't an Airport.

So I think that Apple has some serious attitude problems and problems with arrogance and "it's not my problem" syndrome in their support. Again, as a happy command-line Unix and Linux user, I feel pretty competent to deal with software issues, and I do love it waaaaay more than MS crap (which I still have to do some work on). Plus it's fun, and the screen is amazing. We've enjoyed some evenings with it at the end of the bed, watching episodes of Faulty Towers or Black Adder before bed. Who needs a TV in the bedroom?

Your problems sound much more severe. One thing I try never to do...buy the first run of a new model of something (especially cars - anyone remember the first year Audi TT's and their "lift" problem? I mean, fine, engineer a car like an airplane, but don't actually let it fly!). Of course, I did it with the 17", so shame on me.

Diana