internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Is there such a thing as an "opt in" email marketing list?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Diana Duncan <art2mis AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Is there such a thing as an "opt in" email marketing list?
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 10:15:37 -0400

While this is a great surprise to me, I guess some people *do* click on the "I would like to receive emails about this and related products" checkboxes. I've had the weird experience recently of having to go to my sister's email account on yahoo.com and individually forward her emails to her (there doesn't seem to be a bulk-forward option, at least that I've found. And I can't just forward the entire account because she's in Africa on an extremely limited connection and can't deal with the masses of junk she receives).

She gets all kinds of crap. A lot of which she signed up for, presumably.

So, I guess if you found the right kind of opt-in list (say, from one of the web architecture magazines) and make sure you put a blurb at the bottom letting the recipient know exactly where you got their email address from, and allowing them to remove themselves from your copy of the list, this would be inoffensive. And might actually reach that poor IT middle manager who's been desperately needing exactly your solution.

Diana