internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Is there such a thing as an "opt in" email marketing list?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Thomas Beckett <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Is there such a thing as an "opt in" email marketing list?
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 21:36:48 -0400

Calvin Powers wrote:
Run, don't walk, to your nearest bookstore, no, time is to precious to waste ordering online and waiting for it to appear in the mail, and buy a book called _Permission_Marketing_. Alas, I am not at home and not online and I can't remember the author's name.

It's by Seth Godin.

http://www.sethgodin.com/sg/

He keeps a sometimes-interesting blog there, too.

I fall in the camp that says there's no such thing as an opt-in list you can buy. People that may at some point have opted in to some marketing scheme are so far removed from what you have to sell them that your direct-marketing email is just spam to them. Unless the message comes from a trusted source already known to the user, I think most folks would just hit the delete key.

TaB

P.S. You should ask Chuck Crews about his one "opt-in" experience with a client of catalogue.com. That's a story.