internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Laser Tag!

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Josep L. Guallar-Esteve" <jlguallar AT maduixa.net>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Laser Tag!
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 09:25:20 -0400

On Tuesday 15 April 2003 10:40 pm, Michael D. Thomas wrote:
> This site has lots of great information about Laser Tag:

> http://www.trutnee.narod.ru/english/english.htm

> Did you know that George Carter, III, the creator of Laser Tag, was
> inspired by the Millenium Falcon battle scene in Star Wars? I didn't!
> Here's the story:

> http://www.jesterscourt.net/lasertag/history.htm

> I've never played Laser Tag, but it sure does look exciting! I wonder what
> it's like....

Laser Tag!

When Johann Cruyff was the coach at F.C. Barcelona[*] (early 90's), I
discovered some places that seem to be awfuly similar to Laser Tag Arenas.

The setting was a mix between the movie "Alien" and a 80's disco, with "cold
ice steam", flashing lights, loud music, generaly poor illumination... Every
player got a gun, a "body armour" with the laser receivers and belonged to a
team. When you were "hit", the armour started vibrating and your gun went
"dead", forcing you to go back to your "Base" to "recharge life".

At the end of the game, you would get statistics on your number of shots
fired/hit/missed, the number of times you were "killed", who do you killed,
who had killed you, who did 'friendly fire'...

It was fun, tu run around thinling yourself as Han Solo or Leia or Chewie
(depending on your amount of body hair)... It also was good exercise, as it
was hot, you were running all the time and it was fairly exciting.

Unfortunately, tha Laser Tag Arenas only lasted for about a couple of years.

[*] I use this as a time reference, because in one of our games, we played
Laser Tag against F.C. Barcelona players . We won, of course :)

Salut,
Josep
--
Josep L. Guallar-Esteve Eastern Radiologists, Inc.
AOL vs Josep -> http://www.ibiblio.org/sinner/aol.html