internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] cheap digital camera?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: David Minton <dminton AT mindspring.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] cheap digital camera?
  • Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 10:04:22 -0500

Apple has a list of cameras that are supported by iPhoto (no drivers
required). This should help you with OS X compatibility:

http://www.apple.com/iphoto/compatibility/camera.html

If you buy a camera that uses compact flash, you can buy a PC card converter
for your PowerBook for about $10 that will allow you to access the images,
so there is a way to work around the OS X compatibility issue. There are USB
and firewire adaptors for other media formats as well.

As for battery life, I made sure my new digital camera used NiMH AA
batteries. You can buy an 8 pack at best buy for about $20 (1600 Mamp) and
rotate as you need them. I carry two extra sets, and have not run out in an
afternoon yet.

I bought a camera last month, but I was not using the same requirements. I
bought an Olympus E-10 (about $950) which is definitely not small. It is a
true optical SLR (fixed lens) with a real manual focus, and no shutter lag
(my requirements). It is also 4 MegaPixel--more than you are looking for
(there is also the E-20 which is 5 MegaPixel).

On the other hand, for any film photographer taking the plunge into digital
photography, it is a great camera.

Food luck,
David