internetworkers - [internetworkers] Blocking unwanted calls

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org (Joey Carr)
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Blocking unwanted calls
  • Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 17:32:36 -0500 (EST)

Bell South (may it rot) does offer a service called Privacy Director that
routes anything that would not come up with a definite number on your
caller ID through an interactive menu system. I believe it plays a
message to never call again if you're a telephone solicitor too. After
having the service for six months and canceling it I'm still
phone-spam-free. I think it costs about five bucks a month unless you
subscribe to some of their other marketing gimmicks. It will probably help
with the hangup, but the automated talker will probably still get through
to your voice mail.

Actual human callers who need to get through have to identify themselves
like with a collect call... and that part doesn't work too well sometimes
and it hangs up on them.

Like everything from Bell South, it's not really worth the ungodly amount
of money they charge for it... but it works, mostly.

-Joey