internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Terry Pratchett

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Rowland Smith <rowland AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Terry Pratchett
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 17:22:06 -0500

On Thursday 23 January 2003 05:03 pm, you wrote:
> But of course! As a collaboration between two (2!) of my absolute favorite
> authors (Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman), I do already own several copies
of
> this one, and I cannot rate it highly enough. I think I've read it about
> five times. I intend to read it to any kid I may have when he or she gets
> old enough, because I also believe it makes a fabulous children's novel, in
> the grand old tradition of Roald Dahl. I mean, what little kid wouldn't
want
> to hear about a gang of eleven-year-olds who bring the world to the edge of
> Armageddon?

I cast my vote for Good Omens as well, it was a hell of a read ( no pun
intended ;)

> Also, in my earlier post I forgot to mention a few other authors good for
> both thinking and laughs -- Connie Willis (altho she seems more serious
> lately - but "Bellwether" is a must for any fan of chaos theory).

Connie Willis is great - I really liked her time travel book on the plague
during the middle ages ( The Domesday Book ). Also, she did a time-travel
take on Jerome Jerome's "Three Men and a Boat" called "To Say Nothing about
the Dog" that I really enjoyed.

> Jonathen
> Lethem, Christopher Moore, Neil Stephenson and Christopher Brookmyre.
> Unfortunately, Brookmyre is only available in the UK or from amazon.co.uk.
> He writes "Scottish Noir" fiction which is truly amazing.

This is great, I've been looking for some new stuff to read.

Rowland