internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] 20:02, 11-11, 2002

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Michael D. Thomas" <mdthomas AT mindspring.com>
  • To: <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] 20:02, 11-11, 2002
  • Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 06:40:02 -0500

> But seriously, did you have too much coffee this morning? I mean, I
> like symmetry as much as the next person, but this is quite a lot of
> enthusiasm on the numerology.

Huh? I don't know that much about numerology, so perhaps I have trouble seeing
the connection that you make. But since I must "seriously" justify my post, I
can ensure that it is neither the result of too much coffee in the morning
(don't drink much coffee, and hardly ever in the morning) or the results of
any enthusiasm for numerology. My understanding of numerology is that it is
focused on the study of certain egocentric dates, such as the date on which
one was born. My post only related dates to themselves, other dates and date
formats. I thought that my subject matter was dry, not occult.

However, if you happen to be in to numerology and saw this as a numerology
post, that's cool. In the 10-15 minutes that I've looked at some numerology
pages, it looks like an interesting system of belief that has a lot of history
behind it. As an open list, Triangle Internetworkers is open to the discussion
of any system of belief, as long as no one puts an eye out and/or convinces
their particular god(s) to strike down our servers or hurl thunderbolts at one
of our meetings. Oh and the belief that one must justify one's post is fine,
too.

If you really must know, my enthusiasm comes from a Computational Theory class
that I took where we built lots of Finite State Machines, Push Down Automata
and Turing Machines. Creating symmetrical strings of various types with these
little buggers was a frequent homework assignment and topic of discussion. As
a software developer, date formats and strings are part of the job. Since I've
written and put in to commercial production a couple of large parsers, perhaps
I'm more in to strings than most. Maybe you should compare it to how a
carpenter knows wood. Oh, and as a writer, I found the dry and irrelevant
subject matter challenging.

Per the topic itself: a reader pointed out that on a digital display, the
minute of which I speak is also vertically symmetrical as long as colons and
dashes are used. I didn't question the reader's motivations in pointing
that out, so I don't know the source of their enthusiasm. I can ask if it's
important.

Cheers!