internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] 20:02, 11-11, 2002

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] 20:02, 11-11, 2002
  • Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 23:43:33 -0500

on Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 11:31:25PM -0500, Thomas Beckett wrote:
> Michael D. Thomas wrote:
> > 8:02 p.m. today will be an exciting minute!
>
> Shit, I missed it! Got caught up in cooking dinner and, oh well. No
> other such opportunity in this lifetime.

Quick - drive to Missouri.

> Ultimately, isn't the date and time a generally arbitrary counting
> system? Why are their 24 hours in a day, 60 minutes in an hour, and so
> forth? This "symmetry" has no relationship to the natural world. We
> know how long a day is, and we can mark each day from when the sun
> reaches its zenith. We can similarly mark the year. But getting down
> to a finer level of granularity beyond that imposes an artificial system
> of measurement on the concept of time.

Blame the Babylonians. (Should be fashionable this year, anyway).

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a1_125.html
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a4_194a.html
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a2_166.html

The average person needs trepanation like he needs a hole in the head. -ca