internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Election day

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Rachel Cox <rachel AT hesketh.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Election day
  • Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 23:07:41 -0500

At 11:09 PM 11/5/2002 -0500, Chris Hedemark wrote:
[snip]
>The problem is that you never seem to see a politician driving a five
>year old Honda. Politics, at any level of real power, are only
>accessible to the wealthy. And such power is only truly attractive to
>those corrupt enough to take personal advantage of it.

I don't think that's true. While I agree that power is currently only accessible to the wealthy - something that most campaign finance reform plans I've seen have failed to adequately deal with, and which term limits don't even address - I don't agree that only those who are corrupt are attracted to public office. I believe there are people in office who truly want to change the world for the better, and who truly want to help people - their constituents, at least, and the larger community as well. Not all, I'm sure, but I don't think you can pick them out by the car they drive.

Cheers!
-Rachel

Rachel Cox | Web Developer | 919.834.2552 x16 | hesketh.com/inc
Image is only the beginning. http://www.hesketh.com/