internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] ads as social indicators?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Chris Hedemark <chris AT yonderway.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] ads as social indicators?
  • Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 22:08:34 -0400

On Sunday, October 20, 2002, at 09:55 PM, machett AT ibiblio.org wrote:

Could this be some sort of economic or social indicator?

I have no further to look than the friends and acquaintances I have made in technical groups in the area to see that the unemployment rate, at least in my circles, is at unheard of levels. While there are more job listings out there now than this time last year, I think there are more people competing for those jobs so the job listings themselves are not a good indicator of the current state of the local economy.

I think that lenders may re-evaluate how aggressively they pre-approve credit cards now. Even after I was unemployed for six straight months, I was getting pre-approved cards in the mail for $10,000 and more. The sad thing is, many people went ahead and took those cards driving themselves even deeper into debt. Even when this economy comes back, I think many people like myself who were out of regular work long-term (16 months now for me) will be taking many years to recover. Debt consolidation or debt counseling can be a great temptation but I won't go for this until I better understand the gotchas. And I'm not going to promise payments to yet another entity until I have a steady source of income again.

Chris Hedemark
Hillsborough, NC
http://yonderway.com