internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] USB SmartMedia card readers for Linux?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: John Beimler <john AT radiomind.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] USB SmartMedia card readers for Linux?
  • Date: 17 Oct 2002 17:00:53 -0400

On Thu, 2002-10-17 at 15:53, Diana Duncan wrote:
> We have both 8.2 and 9.0 installed, and I would prefer it to work for 9.0,
> as
> the 8.2 is still around just while we're checking out 9.0.
>
> Most of what I've read about the ones that work, it all seems to be pretty
> much plug-and-play. I think we're going to pick up the Imation FlashGO --
> anyone have any experience with that one?

I picked up one of the SmartMedia(tm) dual CompactFlash/SmartMedia
readers at BestBuy a couple months back. I plugged it in, the CF slot
shows up as /dev/sda, the SmartMedia as /dev/sdb. Again, the linux
setup took less time than schlepping around for the windows drivers. Do
a quick google search on the reader at http://www.google.com/linux and
make sure, but I've had really good luck with mine.

(Trilug also has a thread in their mail archive about this, their search
is broken though, so a google search with "site:trilug.org" appended
will find them)

Peace.

john