internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] inquiry-creativity index

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Thomas Beckett <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] inquiry-creativity index
  • Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 00:41:08 -0400

I hear ya, Michael. But on the other hand, there is the typical pattern of gentrification in cities that this Creativity Index seems to springboard from. That is, older and/or "iffy" neighborhoods attract the artists and musicians and "hip" types because of the cheap rents. You get your artist lofts, funky restaurants and boutiques. The hipness quotient increases, which attracts the post-hip professionals who start renovating and upgrading the older structures. With them come more mainline businesses such as Starbucks. The rents go up and the artists move elsewhere.

This is the Greenwich Village > Soho > TriBeCa pattern. Locally, it would be Carrboro > Pittsboro > godknowswhere. I can see it happening in downtown Durham even now. Only now you add the hax0rs and skateboarders to the artists and musicians.

Penniless creatives create potential in a community. Give me more starving artists! They keep things happening.

TaB

P.S. Chalk one more mark to downtown Durham's hipness quotient: I saw an actual bicycle messenger here today!