internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Resume preparation.....

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Scott <scottrus AT ifndef.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Resume preparation.....
  • Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 14:16:49 -0500

On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 09:13:16AM -0700, Christopher Witter wrote:
> Is it me or does every position that is currently
> available want like every IT skill under the sun,
> requires a gazillion years experience, and a they want
> someone with like a PHD.......? Or something like
> that.

I've always seen this. I don't think there is a job that I've applied for,
or been hired for, where I was 'qualified' based on the 'required skills'
list given.

I've never let it stop me and it's payed off. The best advice is to put the
right key words that match your skill set onto your resume for the
particular job you're looking at. The goal isn't to get hired, but to get
past the HR people and into an interview (hopefully with someone who has
interview skills and a clue as to the job opening). From there the goal is
to get hired :)

> The problem I have run into is as a consultant I
> have worked with so many different technologies that
> it is hard to build a resume and include all of my
> different experiences on just one resume. So I have
> given thought to creating one for each area of
> specialty and creating a matching cover letter to go
> with each one.

Setup a simple web page that lists all your skills. Focus on navigation and
readability (My resume is in plain text, and consequently my resume web page
formats nicely with <pre> </pre> tags :) )

From there just tailor your resume for each job you're serious about
applying for. Include the URL to your full resume / skill set if you like.

--
Scott