internetworkers - [internetworkers] Thanks to Mike C. and Next Gathering Planning

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Michael D. Thomas" <mdthomas AT mindspring.com>
  • To: <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Thanks to Mike C. and Next Gathering Planning
  • Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 10:35:51 -0400

Thanks are due to Michael Czeiszperger for organizing our gathering last week
in Chapel Hill. The food was great, the weather was perfect for enjoying the
alfresco seating, and the company was, as always, excellent. Thanks, Mike!

I'm taking care of the October Raleigh gathering. I have plenty of free time
this week (but this week only) to visit places, talk to managements and
generally review suggested venues. Or, we could fall back to one of the places
we've enjoyed before. Basically, I can do some legwork over the next few days
to ensure a great October gathering.

I'd love to hear your suggestions for Raleigh venues either on-list or off.
Here are the basic parameters that have seemed to lead to good locations in
the past. None of these are really absolute, but more like ingredients in a
good dish. Each has it's own effect on the overall flavor of the gathering.

* Drink. It isn't required that a place have a great bar, or any bar at all.
We've done several in coffee shops. But techies do tend to like either a good
beer or good coffee selection. Or both.

* Food. Food has ranged from simple pre-packaged and deli items to standard
bar fare to top-notch dining. It should be considered a requirement that there
are at least a couple of viable vegetarian options in the menu, though.

* Size of venue. Our gatherings of late have had around 20-30 attendees, with
Raleigh being a bit lighter than other locales. It's important to consider if
a place has enough capacity. Is the place packed or light on Thursday nights?
It's also important to confirm that the venue isn't hosting other large
groups, such as dart clubs, on the same evening. I can ask that question as I
talk to individual venues.

* Service. This is probably the most frequent complaint that I hear about INW
gatherings. Unfortunately, it is largely in the hands of the management of the
venue. We have had more success with those restaurants that are either large
enough to absorb our crowd easily (e.g., Flying Saucer) or where we know the
management well. Also, it's easier for the gathering organizers to prod the
management for more wait staff if everyone RSVPs. Remember, RSVP math isn't
restricted to the set of integers. If you are only half sure you will come,
just send a .5 RSVP.

* Split checks. Gatherings work best if everyone is able to pay their own way.
Most bars have no problem splitting checks, though finer establishments may
not be in the practice of doing it. If they won't split checks, then there
will be more coordination work necessary to get the bills paid.

* General Ambience. Is it an interesting place to visit?

* Mingling dynamic. Is it a place where people will be able to mingle easily?
This has most to do with the physical layout of the establishment. Is it more
a sit-down place or a stand-up place? Each offer their own type of mingling.

Thanks for any help, and hopefully I'll be posting an announcement for the
October gathering by the end of the week.

Cheers!