internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Dumb question

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Simon Spero <ses AT tipper.oit.unc.edu>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Dumb question
  • Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 17:43:46 -0400 (EDT)

The vic-20 tape drive operates at 300 baud, but data rate would be
slightly less due to checksumming (I don't know how much overhead this
takes).

If we ignore the checksum, that gives a storage capacity on one side of a
90 minute cassette of: 45*60*300 = 810,000 bytes ( = 791KB)

The number of minutes needed to store one minute of mp3 at a given bit
rate can be found by dividing the bitrate by 300. For example, one minute
of digital audio at 56kbps would take over 180 minutes (more than two
casettes).

I'm now curious as to what 300bps audio would sound like; anybody want to
see if LAME will die laughing if you try it?

I know there were predictive encoders that could operate down around that
level, but they were voice only and were supposed to be pretty awful
sounding even for that. (correction after web search: these were designed
for 2400bps and up)

Simon

http://www.devili.iki.fi/Computers/Commodore/C2N/Service_Manual/front_page.html
http://asylum.sf.ca.us/pub/u/howitt/lpc.tutorial.html

--
Now available - The Freddy Hayek Kayak | "Pass me another elf
Paddle Your Own Canoe! Be Rowed To Surfdom! | Sergeant- this one's
>From The Taco Institute for Dyslexic Libertarians | split"
Moments ago I had everything. Now, there's a cow in my nose - La Salla