internetworkers - RE: RIAA to target individual internet users

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Bill Geschwind" <geschwin AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: "'InterNetWorkers'" <internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: RIAA to target individual internet users
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 16:08:23 -0400

The whole intellectual property issue aside, the one thing I find most
alarming about this is that they are trying to get permission to delete
files from individuals' hard drives!!! What is on my hard drive is my
business and I will be very pissed if some corporate narc goes snooping
around in it. In what way would this be different from an illegal search
and seizure? What if I decided that I wanted to name a file that was not
a music file 'coolsong.mp3' (replace 'coolsong' with the name of any
song carried by any of those labels) just to be eccentric, and they
tried to delete it? What assurances would I have that they would only be
looking for and deleting music files and not looking at, cataloging,
deleting, other private information of mine on my computer? Who the hell
do these bastards think they are? I thought the Stasi died with the fall
of the Berlin Wall!

- Bill

Bill Geschwind
Technical Assistance Manager
Department of Technology and Systems Support
Division of Student Affairs, University of N. Carolina at Chapel Hill
03 Teague Hall, CB# 5510 (919) 962-5629
Chapel Hill, NC 27599 geschwin AT email.unc.edu