internetworkers - Re: quick unix question

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "David R. Matusiak" <matusiak AT speakeasy.net>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: quick unix question
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 21:29:44 -0700 (PDT)

well, honestly Kate there are no simple answers to any unix question,
regardless
of direness, vendor, colour or creed. sometimes you just have to stop and ask
yourself "Self, do I really /want/ to reboot this machine?"

for, sometimes you have to reflect on all the good uptime and files lost and
found. the laughs and the smiles; and especially the times you cried
together.
hopefully you and your machine will not focus on the bad times, but instead
on
all those moments when you *knew* it was just right. the salad days.

so, suddenly this urge arises in you to reboot. why the shift in attitude?
have
you considered how your machine might feel about this? all those hours,
tirelessly grinding away to satisfy your every computing need. and now the
boot?

c'mon - you can work this out. i know, "things change." well, thru most
upgrades
you can simply restart a process (with the occasional SIGHUP). no need for
anything drastic! i really wish the best for you guys. you're good people and
i'm pulling for you. please let us know how things go.
dave ;)
m a h t o o z e e a c k a t s p e e k e e z e e d o t n e t