internetworkers - Re: quick unix question

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Bill Geschwind" <geschwin AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: "'InterNetWorkers'" <internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: quick unix question
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 09:28:18 -0400

Contrast this to the world of Windows:

Fogetabout feelings and such crap, if the bitch don't put out, give 'er
the boot!

;-p
Bill

> well, honestly Kate there are no simple answers to any unix question,
regardless
> of direness, vendor, colour or creed. sometimes you just have to stop
and ask
> yourself "Self, do I really /want/ to reboot this machine?"
>
> for, sometimes you have to reflect on all the good uptime and files
lost and
> found. the laughs and the smiles; and especially the times you cried
together.
> hopefully you and your machine will not focus on the bad times, but
instead on
> all those moments when you *knew* it was just right. the salad days.
>
> so, suddenly this urge arises in you to reboot. why the shift in
attitude? have
> you considered how your machine might feel about this? all those
hours,
> tirelessly grinding away to satisfy your every computing need. and now
the boot?

> c'mon - you can work this out. i know, "things change." well, thru
most upgrades
> you can simply restart a process (with the occasional SIGHUP). no need
for
> anything drastic! i really wish the best for you guys. you're good
people and
> i'm pulling for you. please let us know how things go.
> dave ;)
> ___ _ _____ . ....
> m a h t o o z e e a c k a t s p e e k e e z e e d o t n e t
> ------ / / ......... . . .
>
> On Mon, 1 Jul 2002, Michael D. Thomas wrote:

UNIX

http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/
> You are currently subscribed to internetworkers as: gina AT vnet.net
$subst('Email.Unsub')

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
~*~*~*
My brain seems to have a circuit-breaker-like mechanism that, when I get
confused and befuddled by the overwhelming monstrosities of my life,
causes a default to the simplest and most pleasant of thoughts. Like
Marshmallow Peeps. I *like* Marshmallow Peeps.

Gina Norman And the only bit that
gina AT vnet.net (me personally) really matters:
ginanorm AT nortelnetworks.com (me at work)
http://users.vnet.net/gina
ginathelintqueen AT yahoo.com (me personally, again -- sick of me yet? ;)
*~*~*~*

http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/
You are currently subscribed to internetworkers as:
geschwin AT email.unc.edu
$subst('Email.Unsub')