internetworkers - Re: Vet Recommendations

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Childers.Paula AT epamail.epa.gov
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Vet Recommendations
  • Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 13:13:04 -0400

It seems everyone has their favorite vet, and many of us willingly drive
long distances to reach ours.

We still take our cats to Dr. Redmond (sp?) at Vine over in Chapel Hill,
even though we have lived in north Durham now for years. We have friends
who have had good experiences with St. Francis on Hillsborough Rd. in
Durham, but we have one cat who's something of a "problem child," and
only Dr. Redmond has ever really seemed to be able to cope with her.

Considering animals can't talk, I suppose the incidence of mistakes is
much higher in veterinary care than people care, so I am willing to
accept some medical mistakes, it's the people I think are the vital part
- do you feel comfortable with the vet and the staff? Do you think they
honestly want to do a good job, or are just working to get paid?

I know people who think Park is great, and others who have had negative
experiences there. I would not want to take my pets there, but I'm
basing that mostly off one thing- they seem to always be running help
wanted ads for new assistants. What is it about the place that runs
people off? Are they just unlucky, or do they pay poorly, or is the vet
a pain to work for, or what? Most of the possible answers are negative,
in my mind. YMMV.

Paula the lurker