internetworkers - Re: Another Bill Gates escapade

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Austin, Roger D." <rda AT rti.org>
  • To: 'InterNetWorkers' <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Another Bill Gates escapade
  • Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 13:05:29 -0400

I agree that distance learning and technology may have a place in educating
the public; however, the problems usually surface in the implementation. I
have taken a class in Monte Carlo theory through NC-REN about five years ago
here at work. It wasn't worth it and I would have rather commuted to a local
university to take other classes. The problem was that I need the discipline
of a structured classroom to keep out the distractions. Improvements in
technology may help.
There are other ways that people try to do distance learning like training
videos, CD-ROMs, books, etc. I have some difficulties with all these over
the idea of taking a class in person. (I have tried all these methods.) This
assumes of course that you have local access to teaching facilities like we
do in the RTP area. We are spoiled.
I grew up near Hickory in western NC and the educational facilities were
primitive compared to those in the RTP area. I came to NCSU and was lost for
a year. I eventually caught up (I believe), but it was a struggle. If
distance learning via the web or high-speed video can help those in "the
sticks", I'm all for it. I wonder though about how prepared those students
are for high-end material. You would need to start with the lower grades to
prepare the students for the more challenging work.
More later. Roger (in RTP)