internetworkers - Re: Another Bill Gates escapade

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Thomas Beckett <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Another Bill Gates escapade
  • Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 23:12:02 -0400

At 07:45 PM 5/9/2002 -0700, you wrote:
well, i cannot say much bad about that and i'll tell ya why;

any support for education is fine by me. and as a weird addendum to this story,
i add the following (which also is praising MS in some roundabout way);

Yeah, it was more a matter of his poor taste in selection of schools to endow. But Melinda did attend there (at approximately the same time I did). So it is understandable.

also, it is unfortunate that such a disparity exists between schools like Duke
and NCSSM getting these types of donations and the larger majority which have little to no exposure to that stuff. the looks and comments from librarians who came from some of those poorer counties around NC about that technology center were very, very enlightening;

Indeed. I have a (brilliant) friend who grew up in Southport, NC, down below Wilmington. His high school had like no money, period. He tells the story of taking a course in calculus which was taught over closed-circuit TV by a teacher at NCSSM. Suffice to say that a teacher on the TV is not the same as one in the classroom.

TaB