internetworkers - Re: Linux installation suggestions

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Craig <craigduncan AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Linux installation suggestions
  • Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 09:38:19 -0400

I would echo Kevin's comments, except that the boxed set of Mandrake 8.2 has
not yet hit the shelves of our local stores. Just as Kevin has a preference
for Redhat, I have a preference for Mandrake, but for someone who is new to
Linux, the differences between Redhat and Mandrake are quite insignificant -
they are both great and very compatable!

Irrespective of which distribution you choose, you will end up with a
wonderfull graphical desktop that will run very well on a Pentium PIII and
provide you with all that you need, and more, to be a productive computer
user (games, toys, and some other productivity stuff ;=)

The Installfest is a great way to get Linux installed on your computer and to
ask questions about how to do 'X' or where to get 'Y', so I hope you will
take advantage of this wonderful, free as in beer, oportunity to get started
on the right note.

Craig