internetworkers - Re: Linux installation suggestions

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney <alchemist AT darkcanvas.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Linux installation suggestions
  • Date: 26 Apr 2002 08:40:49 -0400

On Thu, 2002-04-25 at 23:17, Bob Kucera wrote:
> If someone will respond offline, that is fine since the list has
> probably seen this a million times.

(the wind up, and the pitch...)

The best way to get started with Linux, in my opinion, is to come out to
the TriLUG Eat-n-Geek Installfest at Durham Tech on May 11th from Noon
until 5pm! I'll be forwarding complete details soon.

We'll have a veritable buffet of Linux Distributions (including Red hat
7.2 and Mandrake 8.2) as well as a wide selection of experts to help you
get it installed and working just right on your PC.

And to add to it, we'll have FOOD! That's right, the eat part of the
Eat-n-Geek is currently shaping up to be a Cookout in the parking lot.
Stuff you head with knowledge, and stuff your stomach with both
vegetarian and non-vegetarian grilled goodness.

Have kids? We're making arrangements for some kid-space so that the
little people don't have to stand about an be bored while mommy or daddy
geeks out. We will not be providing full supervision/babysitter
services, though.

Pre-Registration information is coming soon, but mark your calenders
now!

(Time may be subject to change, but the date remains the same. I have no
idea what the rain plans are yet.)

OK, the blurb being done, I personally prefer Red Hat 7.2 over Mandrake
8.2. They are pretty similar under the hood. Both contain KDE and Gnome,
tow of the most popular Linux desktop interfaces out there.

If you don't feel like spending the time on the download, both are
available at many fine retailers near you right now. With well written
manuals, a full CD set, and complete instructions. And your $$ still
goes to help the company that produces the distribution.

There are any number of local people and groups who can help you out,
among them TriLUG (http://www.trilug.org/) and LUG@NCSU
(http://linux.ncsu.edu/).

-- Kevin "The Alchemist" Sonney --
-- ICQ: 4855069 AIM: ksonney --
320C 0336 3BC4 13EC 4AEC 6AF2 525F CED7 7BB6 12C9

"I will rule you all with an Iron Fist! You! Obey the fist!" - Zim