internetworkers - Re: Lindows - Anyone know much about it?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Josep L. Guallar-Esteve" <jlguallar AT maduixa.net>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Lindows - Anyone know much about it?
  • Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 13:57:16 +0000

El dia Divendres 12 Abril 2002 04:36 pm, no tenies res mes que fer i vas i
m'envies aquest mail:
> I'm not sure that getting MS products to run under Linux is a good thing
> considering that a large portion of their profits come from Office. There
> are plenty of alternative products around to supplant the features in
> Office, so there's not really a hard requirement for Linux users.

In fact is pretty easy.

You are a businewss. You have one-too-many licenses of MS-Office 97 adquired
by your company. You have standarized your Office environment with that set
of applications.

Si, if you move to Linux, you can stiil use those licenses, training...in
short: you can re-use your investment, so your TCO of MS-Office 87 gets
lowered. And you do not need to switch to WindowsXP **and** to MS-Office-XP
just because Microsoft says so...

And, also, if you do not like Linux, you can go back to Windows and keep
using
Office. The power is yours to decide.

So, from a corporate point of view, getting (discount price) licenses for
Codeweavers cross-over pluggin to run MS-Office on Linux is a way to save
money and get away from the bad strategic decission of One Single Vendor.

Then , as time goes by, you can dump Office97 and move to, say, Klyx or Tex
or
OpenOffice or Koffice or [name-your-productivity-opensource-app-here]

As we say back at home "tot son ventatges", that is, everything plays in your
favor, you cannot go wrong.

This is just another option available in Linux world. Some will like it, some
will not. Like KDe/Gnome or Vi/Emacs or TUI/GUI or ...

Salut,
Josep
--
Josep L. Guallar-Esteve, QA-Test Engineer, Red Hat, Inc.
http://www.ibiblio.org/sinner/