internetworkers - Re: Lindows - Anyone know much about it?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Josep L. Guallar-Esteve" <jlguallar AT maduixa.net>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Lindows - Anyone know much about it?
  • Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 12:11:07 +0000

El dia Divendres 12 Abril 2002 01:34 pm, no tenies res mes que fer i vas i
m'envies aquest mail:
> On Thu, 2002-04-11 at 18:26, Scott Russell wrote:
> > Forget Lindows. Check out Codeweavers Crossover Office. It runs MS Office
> > apps today. My personal experience has been very positive over all.

> I can second this. I just gave the talk at the Triangle Linux Users
> Group last night using Powerpoint running under Crossover Office
> (which, btw, is a nicely tuned version of WINE). All of the office
> programs run very well and, to me, seem to run quicker than under
> windows.

One thing that I do not like at all on Lindows is: you are root. If you know
Unix/Linux/*BSD you know how dangerous this can be. Lindows viruses anyone?

All major Linux distributions (Red Hat, SuSE, Mandrake...) ask for user
creation, which is A Good Thing. Then, when you want to do "potentially
dangerous stuff" Linux will ask you for root password. This will scare the
faint of heart enough so their Linux system will remain stable, up and
running, for a long time.

If you want to run Linux as you run Windows, try Mandrake Linux 8.2. No
command line[*], easy to install, easy to add new programs... then, add
Codeweavers' Cross-over pluggin to run Quicktime and Windows Media player and
you are set.

[*] If that is your wish. It is there, in its full glory. You'll see that the
GUI "control center" is just a graphical front-end to your beloved command
line tools... plus urpmi, the"apt-get" for rpms.

Mandrake Linux 8.2 ships OpenOffice (Download version, 3 CDs) and StarOffice
6.0 (Power Pack version, 5/6 CDs, with manuals, box and all). This
OpenOffice/StarOffice 6.0 is very good at dealing with your .doc , .xls ,.ppt
files.

For a "Desktop" user, Mandrake is a very good choice. Hey, my parents use it.
And I am thinking on getting MAndrake in my in-laws' computer as well.

Salut,
Josep
--
Josep L. Guallar-Esteve, running Red Hat Linux 7.3beta and Mandrake Linux 8.2
http://www.ibiblio.org/sinner/