internetworkers - Re: Lindows - Anyone know much about it?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Czeiszperger <czei AT webperformanceinc.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Lindows - Anyone know much about it?
  • Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 12:36:11 -0400

On Friday 12 April 2002 09:34 am, you wrote:
> I can second this. I just gave the talk at the Triangle Linux Users
> Group last night using Powerpoint running under Crossover Office
> (which, btw, is a nicely tuned version of WINE). All of the office
> programs run very well and, to me, seem to run quicker than under
> windows.

I'm not sure that getting MS products to run under Linux is a good thing
considering that a large portion of their profits come from Office. There are
plenty of alternative products around to supplant the features in Office, so
there's not really a hard requirement for Linux users.

For example, the Office compatibility in www.openoffice.org is so good I've
been able to work on rather complicated presentations that work fine under
Windows. You can see an example here:

http://webperformanceinc.com/files/wpt_overview.ppt

I know of at least one insurance company that was able to replace MS Office
with StarOffice for the majority of its employees.

I've heard it argued that Linux will never gain acceptance on the desktop
without Office, but the computer illiterate small business owners I know have
no idea that "Office" even exists; they just use whatever is on their
computer when they buy it.

--
Michael Czeiszperger
czei AT webperformanceinc.com