internetworkers - Re: Lindows - Anyone know much about it?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Josef Komenda" <joe AT komejo.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Lindows - Anyone know much about it?
  • Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 19:10:09 -0400

Initial thoughts are this:

- Running Windows apps under wine suck rocks. If they can get it to work
smoothly, 'bless em, but I doubt it. I reeeallly doubt it.

- Lindows.com looks like a vanity site for Michael Robertson.

- The site wants you to pay them $99 to be a beta tester. (They call it
being a 'Lindows Insider')

- The Yahoo article mentioned that Lindows now runs Konqueror and has
office doc plugings, so I'd guess that theyre tweaking out KDE
(http://www.kde.org/), sort of like how Ximian (www.ximian.org) is tweaking
out Gnome (www.gnome.org).

- Tweaking M$'s nose with the name is not a good idea. They have really
mean lawyers and very deep pockets.

Thanks,
Joe K