internetworkers - Re: Linux, AOL/TimeWarner, and the future of computing

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Michael D. Thomas" <mdthomas AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Linux, AOL/TimeWarner, and the future of computing
  • Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 09:36:18 -0500

> On the other hand, low-res pages, with tons of content, fast to load, easily
> viewed even with Links text-based web browser, are the best.

When I say of low-res Internet, I think of an Internet viewed through WebTV or
the cable services in the U.K. For instance, I think when you send a long
email to a low-res Internet user (someone using web-over-TV) then they would
be less likely to read all of it b/c it's harder to read text on low-res
displays. (There's also the furniture issue with web-over-TV, and CNN Headline
news can be a gauge for how much text to use for people sitting several feet
away on the couch.)

I also think that low-res-Internet users would avoid email lists like the
plague b/c an Inbox viewer would see fewer email headers at a single time and
would make it very difficult to process high volume lists.

On the web site, I think the low-res Internet will/does use less text, more
simple graphics, and more audio/video. No Flash or too-clever Javascript b/c
the web-over-tv client software isn't that smart.

Oh... and any web site that wants to be part of the low-res Internet has to
have a separate face, just like they have to have a separate face for the
mobile Internet.