internetworkers - Re: Linux, AOL/TimeWarner, and the future of computing

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Josep L. Guallar-Esteve" <jlguallar AT maduixa.net>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Linux, AOL/TimeWarner, and the future of computing
  • Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 08:48:15 -0500

El dia Dimarts 26 Març 2002 01:39 am, no tenies res mes que fer i vas i
m'envies aquest mail:
> My question: how
> would a low-res Internet differ in its impact from our high-res Internet?

My opinion.

Hi-Res internet, with it's Flash animations, zillion images, tons of
JavaScript.... usualy leadts to a bloated webpage with no content at all.
Practicaly all made by former magazine publishers, editors and composers (?)
, that pretend to get into the web a glossy magazine (think Rolling Stone)...
without paying attention that Internet is a different media.

Unless I want to test the performance of the latest Mozilla or Konqueror web
browsers, I tend to avoid those pages.

On the other hand, low-res pages, with tons of content, fast to load, easily
viewed even with Links text-based web browser, are the best.

For example, I made my webpage with this low-res mentality in mind.
Useability
and Information are the top priorities. And it pays: over 33.6K lines you can
see the page load fairly fast. In Links, my webpage looks pretty good.

And, of course, low-res pages tend to be W3C compliant. And I like this fact.

Salut,
Josep
--
Josep L. Guallar-Esteve, QA-Test Engineer, Red Hat, Inc.
http://www.ibiblio.org/sinner/