internetworkers - those dastardly memo nazis

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Don Rua" <rua AT mindspring.com>
  • To: <internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: those dastardly memo nazis
  • Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 11:04:36 -0500

posted earlier:
{The memo said it
was "untenable that a Windows Premier Partner would be promoting Linux."}

<smack>
Oh dear, what will we do, a harsh memo! Mercy me, the sky is falling and the aliens in area 51 are spying on me with devices made with dollars from the CIA's venture fund, InQTel.</smack>

Okay, the memo said they are not happy with their distributors work with a competitor. I've worked on a partnership with a distributor of my product as well. The distributor owned at least 60% of their market, with tens of thousands of active corporate customers. They wanted an exclusive, I wanted them to distribute my products. They were going to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars per year promoting my product, fulfilling sales, etc.

Now, please tell me why it would be evil for me to do a business deal which was good for both of our shareholders and our employees, who, mind you, are individuals like you and I right here in the triangle? Why would it be newsworthy if my partner sent around a memo saying they wanted an exclusive? Duh, they'd be insane if they didn't want an exclusive. If they didn't at least try for one their management team should be fired by their board.

Here's an idea for those with creative energy: Start a computer company that has an exclusive to ship with only linux software. If one is already in place, start a company to distribute their product, or a sales outsourcer to sell it. Or a chip company to supply it. Or a venture firm that invests in Linux friendly plays, etc., etc. If having linux on boxes is a winning business proposition, someone will find a way to do it and make a fortune. However, if there is not huge demand for it, then it will be hard to find, since businesses are not successful by serving the loudest voices, but rather the greatest demand.

Imagine a Chairman of the board speaking at his annual shareholder meeting: "Folks, this year we lost 3 billion dollars, because we began a strategy of playing nice with our distributors and competition since everyone deserves a break."

Free the Alien Elvis for Jesus!