internetworkers - Re: those dastardly memo nazis

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Czeiszperger <czei AT webperformanceinc.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: those dastardly memo nazis
  • Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 15:47:48 -0500

Edward Wesolowski wrote:
No question in my mind that MS standardization has created a market for PC's where there was none, made work, helped personal and corporate economies.

I agree that standardization has helped create markets. We differ in that I believe world wide, public standards have done much more to create markets than the defacto "standards" of a single company. In my opinion the main reason there was an explosion of startups and technology in the late 90's was because of HTTP, SNMP, TCP/IP, and all of the other public, free, and open standards.

The reason is simple-- when companies are free to compete on open standards consumers benefit because of the huge amount of new products and services that result. When companies are forced out of a market by a monopoly, the amount of investment in those areas are greatly reduced.

--
Michael Czeiszperger
czei AT webperformanceinc.com