internetworkers - Re: Liar Liar Pants on Fire!!!!

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Bill Geschwind" <geschwin AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: "'InterNetWorkers'" <internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Liar Liar Pants on Fire!!!!
  • Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 13:42:36 -0500

Well, yes and no,

I just took another look at the Dell site in more detail just a minute
ago. You are right in that a number of their PC model lines only let you
select various versions of MS Windows - and the available versions of
Windows also vary from model of computer to model of computer. However
you CAN still get a Linux Dell, albeit with very limited choices. Go to
"Workstations" and select the "Dell Precision Workstation 530." When you
click on "Customize It", the first choice it asks you to make makes
absolutely no sense at all: You can select EITHER an Intel Xeon
Processor OR Red Hat Linux (What the????). If you select 'with Red Hat
Linux' you are then presented with a whole range of choices, including
different versions of the Intel Xeon Processor and two different
versions of RH7.2. In addition to this specific model of workstation,
you can get every Dell Server with a wide choice of different OSes,
including Linux.

Now, in addition to this workstation and server you apparently can still
get Linux on their PCs and laptops, however only if you develop your own
software image to use RH7.2 and order the machines through their "Custom
Factory Integration" department.

- Bill

http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2001aug/gee20010803007123.htm
http://news.com.com/2100-1001-271006.html?legacy=cnet

Salut,
Josep
--
Josep L. Guallar-Esteve, QA-Test Engineer, Red Hat, Inc.
http://www.ibiblio.org/sinner/

http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/
You are currently subscribed to internetworkers as: