internetworkers - Re: Liar Liar Pants on Fire!!!!

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Josep L. Guallar-Esteve" <jlguallar AT maduixa.net>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Liar Liar Pants on Fire!!!!
  • Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 13:15:21 -0500

El dia Dimarts 19 Març 2002 11:28 am, no tenies res mes que fer i vas i
m'envies aquest mail:
> Something's not quite kosher here. If "Microsoft made Dell drop the line
> of computers shipped with Linux installed" and Dell "disbanded its Linux
> business unit, laid off the head of the unit and dispersed the talent,"
> then why is Dell still offering its full line of computers, from laptops
> via desktops to servers, with Linux, including Red Hat 7.2, factory
> installed? I looked at Dell's web site today and found the following:

> http://www.dell.com/us/en/biz/topics/linux_linuxhome.htm

> and more specifically

> http://www.dell.com/us/en/biz/topics/linux_000_products.htm

> which states:

Yes. It is not kosher at all.

I've been browsing the site. And, although it says that you can get Linux for
those procducts, you cannot get a Linux Dell.

Select one of the options (desktop, laptops.... whatever) and choose one of
the "supported with Linux" products: Inspiron, Optiplex, Dimension ...

Then, select one model, form factor, ... and customize it: You can get it
with
any windows from Windows98SE to WindowsXP Professional. But it is impossible
to adquire it without Windows and with Linux.

In short: They have kept the webpage where you were able to go and choose
Linux+Dell . But they have closed the availability of Dell products.

http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2001aug/gee20010803007123.htm
http://news.com.com/2100-1001-271006.html?legacy=cnet

Salut,
Josep
--
Josep L. Guallar-Esteve, QA-Test Engineer, Red Hat, Inc.
http://www.ibiblio.org/sinner/