internetworkers - Re: Liar Liar Pants on Fire!!!!

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Bill Geschwind" <geschwin AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: "'InterNetWorkers'" <internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Liar Liar Pants on Fire!!!!
  • Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 11:28:35 -0500

Something's not quite kosher here. If "Microsoft made Dell drop the line
of computers shipped with Linux installed" and Dell "disbanded its Linux
business unit, laid off the head of the unit and dispersed the talent,"
then why is Dell still offering its full line of computers, from laptops
via desktops to servers, with Linux, including Red Hat 7.2, factory
installed? I looked at Dell's web site today and found the following:

http://www.dell.com/us/en/biz/topics/linux_linuxhome.htm

and more specifically

http://www.dell.com/us/en/biz/topics/linux_000_products.htm

which states:

"Red Hat Linux is tested, certified and supported by Red Hat and
available on all DellTM PowerEdgeTM Servers, PowerApp.webTM Appliance
Servers and select models of PrecisionTM Workstations. Custom
configuration options are available for quick and easy deployment.

Linux solutions on DellTM OptiPlexTM and DimensionTM desktops and
LatitudeTM and InspironTM notebooks may be ordered via Dell's Custom
Factory Install service at http://www.dell.com/CFI/";

To me this does not sound like "Dell [having dropped] the line of
computers shipped with Linux installed." Am I missing something here?

- Bill

http://www.eweek.com/article/0,3658,s=1884&a=24242,00.asp

"Kuney introduced a Microsoft memo to Ballmer, from the spring of 2000,
that
called into question Dell Computer Corp.'s backing of Linux. The memo
said it
was "untenable that a Windows Premier Partner would be promoting Linux."
subsequent memo, from early 2001, showed that Dell had disbanded its
Linux
business unit, laid off the head of the unit and dispersed the talent,
Kuney
said. He introduced other similar memos regarding Compaq Computer
Corp.'s
Linux push and Microsoft's alleged pressure on Compaq to "meet demand
but not
help create demand" for Linux"

They sure deserve many folks playing xbill. At least.

Salut,
Josep, 100% Windows free, and loving it
--
Josep L. Guallar-Esteve, QA-Test Engineer, Red Hat, Inc.
http://www.ibiblio.org/sinner/

http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/
You are currently subscribed to internetworkers as: