internetworkers - Re: New [to me] Web Effect on Yahoo! Auto for Jag Ad

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: rt <rthigpen AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: New [to me] Web Effect on Yahoo! Auto for Jag Ad
  • Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 14:45:02 -0500

No you're not seeing things, I see it too. It did exactly what it was intended to do, it got your attention. It's an ad for Jaguar. No time to completely deconstruct it, but it looks like a mixture of scripted visibility attributes, a standard banner and a Flash movie. Probably implemented differently depending on browser/plug-in/OS combinations.

More examples of such at: <http://www.unitedvirtualities.com/shoshkeles.htm>

--rt

Joanna Wolfe (919)677-0977 wrote:

Okay, so the people that I work with think I'm nuts.
I was speaking to someone this morning and had the Yahoo! Auto page up. http://autos.yahoo.com/

While my mouse and keyboard was idol, all of a sudden, the page in the browser window tore like a sheet of paper. Not just the ad, but the entire displayed page.

Then it smoothed back over the page and everything went back to normal - has anyone else seen this?

Any idea of how to get it to repeat?
Any idea how it was programmed?

I'd be interested in knowing that I'm not seeing things.