internetworkers - Re: The list isn't blowing up yet?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Thomas Beckett <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The list isn't blowing up yet?
  • Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2001 15:10:59 -0400

Medical Illustration wrote:
> "The state attorneys general, who have also sued Microsoft, signaled they
> agreed with the federal government's change of heart. "

This seems to be the line in the NY Times and the Post as well.

I guess the only surprise to me is that the Bushies waited so long.
Perhaps they thought the courts would do it for them and then were
shocked to find that they were actually winning in court.

The DoJ denies that it is caving in to Microsoft, but even if you
rationally justify dropping the breakup remedy, I can't think of a good
reason to just piss away one of your strongest negotiating chips like
that.

Green light to Microsoft. They'll probably come up with a
"settlement"
that insulates M$ from further antitrust ligitation for the next 10
years or something.

TaB