internetworkers - Re: New WUNC schedule

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Childers.Paula AT epamail.epa.gov
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: New WUNC schedule
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 10:25:19 -0400

I read a good article on the format change in last week's Indy
(http://www.indyweek.com/durham/current/porch.html).

Apparently it was motivated in major part by a desire to "up" listener
contributions-- which are apparently correlated with "ratings," which are
used as part of the process of whether they will receive additional funding
from CPB.

While I agree that classical & jazz are pretty well covered in this market
without WUNC, I'm sad that they felt the need to "feed the ratings" rather
than be independently minded, in the true liberal spirit of Chapel Hill.
Perhaps they should have taken a clue from my personal favorite public
radio station:

http://www.wncw.org/

PC